Sunday, February 15, 2009

This is a Cervical rib

I have these. They're pretty rare.
They cause a traffic jam for my blood flow, nerves, and muscles.




Things you never knew, huh? :)

So I talked to the surgeon this week. He read the note to me from my spine doctor who referred me to him...
"This patient says both her children have had surgery for this condition. I don't know why she hasn't considered it for herself after 20 years of sypmtoms."

I have resisted surgery quite agressively.
The past year I've done everything I know to do, including much prayer.

But it is what it is.

I can't believe I'm actually feeling willing to have surgery.
It has become clear to me I will never massage away the bone, never crunch it at the chiropracters office enough, never heat it, physical therapy it, relax it, stretch it, drug it with muscle relaxers enough.
It's time for the extra rib to go.
I think I am ready.

I think.

It just occurred to me that 2 percent of people have red hair.
and 1 in 10,000 people have cervical ribs...so how special does that make me?!!
wow. ( chuckle)

Back to reading my book, -books are awesome.

Though, I have to hold 'em up to read...all because I have extra ribs.