Wednesday, March 12, 2014

TOS Diet days 28, 29, 30-Final

I got a copy of my medical records from when I had rib resection last week. 
The first thing I noted was that I was, at the time of surgery-almost five years ago, 37 lbs lighter than I am now.
I began the TOS Diet journey using a few different materials as inspiration. One is the book Diet for a Pain Free Life.
The main point of the book is excess weight leads to increased inflammation and thereby increased pain.
There are recommendations in the book I disagree with, such as: using sugar substitutes, moderate soy consumption. I do agree that excess weight may be a contributing factor, one of many, in my own pain cycle.

The smoothies will always be part of my diet. Gas and bloating can be an issue at times, but the absorbable nutrients can't be beat.
Much of my struggle with My TOS Diet was regarding coffee consumption.  You will probably not be surprised to know I am back to my daily one large cup of caffeinated coffee. 
I continue to cut out refined foods, sugar, white carbs. 
Having said all that, it seems to me nerve pain does not care what I eat. I have low pain days and bad pain flareup days, even when I've been virtually perfect in my anti-inflammatory diet.
And for me, when pain gets reeeeally bad, I want to self-soothe with food so much! A cookie or three, a vanilla shake, some dark chocolate. After all, I deserve some happiness in life with all I have to endure-right?!

So I apologize if my TOS Diet wrap up is a bit of a let-down. I'm disappointed too.  I was hoping for more of a wondrous change. I still think diet does play a part in pain issues, and I'll keep at it as best I can.
Gentle hugs to all my fellow TOSers~