Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My Physical Therapist Said...Part 5

"It's hard to go slow, to progress at a slow pace. Not everyone can handle that."

I told pt about a stressful life situation I'm having to deal with currently. PT said "These little tests are good for you. Not that the situation is good, but life happens. That is the point of doing all this pt, so you CAN live your life and handle these things without blowing up into a five-alarm flareup."

"For a long time you were walking around like this (hunched, arm bent up), so for you to be doing the stretches you've been doing is great."

"Honestly, a big part of the change you're seeing is from changing your diet, losing weight, moving more, because your cells are turning over and you're rebuilding with new cells all the time. You're coming at this from all angles, which is what you need to do."

I mentioned to pt that someone made a discouraging remark to me when I showed them some of the exercises I'm doing. (They said I was doing old people exercises and not real therapy on machines lifting weights).
PT's response was -"Everyone has their own journey-from point A, to B, to C, and so on. Its not going to look the same for everyone. You've come a long way since you started this. Don't let stuff like that get to you, just keep moving forward."

Part 6 soon...gentle hugs~